Every year, fruit falls from trees in St. Thomas and Elgin County and goes to waste. Help us put that food to good use for those in need!
“Elgin Gleaners” is a volunteer-led program that is dedicated to picking and sharing fresh fruit. We connect underused fruit trees with people in need. Our program is modelled after other fruit sharing programs in Ontario.
Volunteers pick fruit from trees on interested homeowners’ properties and the harvest is split 3 ways:
- 1/3 to the homeowners
- 1/3 is offered to the volunteers
- 1/3 is donated to community groups (community meal programs, school nutrition programs)
Too much of a good thing? Do you have a fruit tree on your property that produces more fruit than you can handle? Help us put that food to good use at community food programs in Elgin St. Thomas.
Contact us to learn more about how you can help: 519-631-9900 or email@example.com.
Success depends upon what volunteers bring to this community group. The ability to harvest fruit can be taught. What we need are volunteers who are committed and excited to be a part of this project!
Here are some of the ways you can volunteer:
- Become a Fruit Gleaner: you will work with other volunteer fruit pickers to pick fruit. You will help out the community and get to take fresh fruit home!
- Become a Gleaner Supervisor: you will pick fruit, transport equipment, and make sure everything runs smoothly on picking days.
- Become a Gleaner Coordinator: you will organize picking days, help with training, and help lead fruit picks.
Contact us to learn more about how you can help: 519-631-9900 or firstname.lastname@example.org