Housing for Seasonal Farm Workers
Elgin St. Thomas works to ensure suitable housing is provided for both domestic and foreign migrant workers. To achieve this, our public health inspectors ensure that the owners of these homes follow the recommendations set out by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
Our department works diligently with seasonal work employment agencies such as Foreign Agricultural Resource management Services (FARMS) to ensure that compliance is met of these homes prior to possession. The overall goal is to ensure the safety of the worker.
An inspection of the home must be inspected 3 weeks prior to the workers arrival. The water source must be available at the time of inspection.
- ESTPH Seasonal Housing Inspection Request Form: Download, fill out, and submit this form to the Health Unit
OR Submit via our ONLINE HOUSING INSPECTION REQUEST FORM
- Housing for Seasonal Farm Workers Manual: Information booklet on Seasonal Housing Standards
- Correct Way to Take a Water Sample
Other Website Links
- Foreign Agricultural Resource Management Services (FARMS)
- Well Aware: this site helps the well owner understand the basics of well maintenance and operation, and to take the necessary actions to keep water wells in safe running order.